Descriptive Reflection

Subject: Introductory to my psyche 


Dear Prof Blackstone,

  I am writing this letter to introduce myself outside the confines of the four corners. My name is Derius Khoo, pronounced as 'De-rius' but everyone just calls me 'Day-rius'. I am currently a Year 1 Mechanical Engineering student enrolled in your Critical thinking and communicating module. 

  I graduated from Ngee Ann polytechnic in 2022 with a diploma in Mechanical Engineering and ITE(HQ) in 2019 with a Higher Nitec certification in Engineering with Business. During my higher education, I  have realized my weakness in the leadership faculty. Therefore, I have decided the only way to see improvements is to step out of the boundaries I have confined myself in. A leap of faith, as they call it. That first small leap landed me in Student Council during my Higher Nitec studies where I did outreach events such as Freshmen Orientation Camps, Student Council Induction Camps and a few notable activities. Events that usually exceed the hundreds was a daunting task to someone like me, who has little to no public speaking experience. It was then, I wanted something more. Something that would really push me out of my comfort zone. By the end of ITE, the course I enrolled in gave the little kid who was playing with Lego a decade ago a profound understanding of how things function and work. 

  It was the year 2019, I have just graduated from ITE(HQ). A freshie who was still wet behind his ears, stepping into Ngee Ann Polytechnic for the first time with the goal of completing his tertiary education. It was then, a booth clad fully in black accented with red trims caught my eyes. A booth in eye-catching maroon words, spelling out 'Rangers'. Initially, I had joined Rangers in hopes to enhance my portfolio and that was all I had in mind. Time skip to 2022, a seemingly arbitrary choice has gave me an opportunity of a lifetime. I was selected as an Exco and had countless chances to lay myself bare in front of student bodies and the general public. Events such as RED Camp, NP Open House, CCA Recruitment Day were a few of the many notable events that I led and partake in. As a 'Ranger', the Student Council of Engineering. I was involved in engineering outreach events where it gave me a deeper appreciation for the engineers and the innovators that gave convenience to humanity. That appreciation led me to enroll in a Mechanical Engineering course in SiT.
 
  My life journey thus far has made me realize one of my stronger traits, which is the ability to explore and adapt. Embarking on new roads, I would like to set two goals by the end of this module. First, to be able to articulate my thoughts and ideas more eloquently. Secondly, do not let the baseless judgement of others cloud my own. I have faith I will be able to work on my two goals under your guidance. 

Yours sincerely, 
Derius Khoo

  

  
  

Comments

  1. Hi Derius, you have a very interesting polytechnic life, one that I wished that I had. Your strengths and weakness are very profound, however, I personally do not understand how it links with communication as a whole. Would it be possible if you could elaborate a little?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, by lacking in the leadership faculty would be my lack of public speaking confidence. As for my stronger traits 'explore and adapt', I do not mind putting myself in difficult scenarios if it means I can improve on my communicative facets

      Delete
  2. It was nice to know you better after reading your letter! I liked how you described your life events from ITE to Polytechnic as I could see that there was significant progress made in terms of your confidence. I must say that your first goal for the module is really a good one to work on and I also hope that I am able to achieve that goal by the end of this module. Lastly, I think you should have capitalized the first letters of the module name in "Critical thinking and communicating module".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Derius, it is nice to know you. I admire how you join CCAs that help you to step out of your comfort zone. you seem to have a good time in your polytechnic life. I was a NITEC student as well, so I can relate. I hope that you can achieve your goals for this module and see you at school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Interpretations

Initial Research Pathway